Belivah

Belivah

Belivah was the property name of Peter McLean. He initially settled on Oxley Creek in 1865 and relocated to this property on the Albert River in 1867. He became a lay pastor for the Congregational Church which was established initially in the Albert Ferry house near Bannockburn, which was run by James Carter. Then Peter McLean set aside one acre of land for a church at Belivah. The building was 32 feet by 16 feet. It was formally opened with a church service on Sunday 10 November 1872. A fund raising Tea Meeting was held on Friday night 8 November with lectures from Reverend E Griffith, S Savage, J Hausmann, and Henry Jordan. Peter McLean acted as the Congregational Agent until he returned to Brisbane in1883. McLean was elected MLA for the Logan Electorate in 1878, and briefly held the position of Secretary for Public Lands in 1879. He remained the local member until 1883. The church languished without his input and closed not long after that.

Other local settlers included Robert and Thomas Learmonth who owned land here from around 1876. Another early settler here was Richard Gannon, a timber getter, who settled here around 1874. Gannon's Creek is named after him. Timber-getter George Bowser took up land here around 1869 and also had land in the Cedar Creek area. Wesleyan Church was built on his Cedar Creek property in 1871, so it is unclear as to which location he lived.

Residential development of the suburb commenced in 1991 with the first stage of Stubbin Street, Leah Drive Osborne Court and Lawler Court. In the next five years, Stubbin Street was extended with Manderson Court and the first stage of Brosnahan Court added. After 2011, both Stubbin Street and Brosnahan Court were extended.