This suburb is named after Francis and Catherine Shailer who arrived with their children in the area in 1866. Like many farmers in the area they first grew cotton and later sugar. The Shailer family were probably best known for their fruit growing and operated the first citrus orchard in Southern Queensland, situated in Slacks Creek. The land selected by Francis Shailer was situated to the north of the current Shailer Road. Francis was a teacher at the first and second Slacks Creek Provisional Schools. He was also the first Clerk of the Tingalpa Divisional Board in 1880. The Shailers intermarried with other pioneering families in the district, including the Dennis' who were related to the Markwells.
Francis’ son Alfred married Nanny Dennis and purchased Portion 121 being 120 acres from the estate of James Dennis. Alfred successfully farmed the land and ran dairy cattle. Nanny Shailer lived to the age of 101 years and 8 months. Her children included Glen Shailer who purchased another farm that was once owned by James Dennis. This property, at the back of Shailer Park was called “Oakey Mountain”. Glen Shailer carried on the family's tradition of involvement in local government. He was elected to the Albert Shire Council in 1961 and served almost continuously until 1985. He was elected Mayor of Logan City in 1982 and served for one term.
Shailer Park incorporates the housing estate marketed as Kimberley Park from 1973, the name of which has been perpetuated in the local state primary school. Shailer Park Primary and High Schools are also in the area. The Logan Hyperdome is the major shopping centre in the area and it opened August 1989.
Shailer Park was originally named as a district in 1971, then as a sub-district of Slacks Creek in 1977. It was officially named a suburb in 1991.