Two of the early settlers in Buccan were James Williamson and his brother-in-law Mr A. Fraser. Williamson arrived in Moreton Bay in 1863 and initially went timber getting in the Richmond River District before selecting land with his brother-in-law on the Logan River, south of Bethania. He initially grew cotton, but soon abandoned that activity when bollworm attacked his crop. James Williamson was the first chairman of the Divisional Board and was a member of the Waterford School Committee for many years. He was a Justice of the Peace and was made life member of the Beenleigh Agricultural and Pastoral Association in 1915, after many years of service. His property was located near Malling Street.