The Harrison Family is synonymous with Cedar Vale and their grand house known as Broomfield. George and Susan Harrison sailed to Melbourne aboard the Gypsy Bride arriving in 1860. Their first child Sam was born on the voyage. They initially went to Ballarat where their second son William was born, and then to Bendigo. George's sister Mary and her husband Samuel Heathwood had sailed to Moreton Bay in 1856, and the Harrsions then joined the Heathwoods in Brisbane working together in the shingle industry. In 1869 he selected the property at what is now Cedar Vale. He then purchased a further 238 acres in 1873 at Veresdale Scrub and the adjoining block of 88 acres shortly after that.
The first home built on the Broomfield block was a slab hut, which was replaced in 1887 by the current home which is a landmark on the Mount Lindesay Highway. Timber from the property was milled for the purpose and the only remnant of the slab hut was the kitchen door. The location of the house made it a popular stopping place along the road for weary travellers in the early days and Susan Harrison was well known for her hospitality. Unfortunately she died in her early 50s, still with young children in need of caring.
Timber on the property included cedar, silky-oak, pine and hardwood. When the railway was constructed in 1888, the nearby station was called Cedar Pocket.
In 1958-59 repairs were undertaken by Irvine King, the great-grandson of George Harrison and again timber from the property was used. The high ceilings in some parts of the house were lowered and the original kitchen wing has been altered.