The current area of Loganlea represents only a small portion of what was originally Loganlea. The area stretched between two early settlements of Slacks Creek and Waterford, with Loganlea Road the main road to the south. A bridge was built across Slacks Creek on Loganlea Road in 1866. The first a postal service to what was known as the Logan Agricultural Reserve, was located on Mr Beetham's property in Loganlea Road to the north of Moloney Street. In 1871 the post office was relocated to Richard Leo's Morning Star Hotel on the corner of Loganlea and Beenleigh-Kingston Roads. During the 1870s, Cobb and Co Coaches called at the hotel en route to Beenleigh. A bridge across the Logan River was built in Waterford in 1876.

Some of the first settlers in Loganlea included Robert and John Nosworthy, James Ferris and William Jameson, George, Aaron and Emmanuel Love, Thomas and William Armstrong, John Beetham, James Moloney, and Richard and Patrick Leo. James Ferris, was unfortunately one of the first victims of the flooding of the Logan River in February 1864.

William and Margaret Armstrong arrived in the 1860s and initially grew cotton and sugar as most others did at that time. Later they grew millet and maize and bred poultry, pigs and dairy cattle. William was instrumental in establishing the first Wesleyan Church in the Slacks Creek area. The first provisional school for the area was run from this church, which was situated in Centenary Road at Slacks Creek.

William and Margaret sons', Thomas and William, settled along the river in what is now called Meadowbrook. In 1884 they gave land for the Loganlea New Wesleyan Church which was situated in Armstrong Road in the vicinity of the Logan Hospital.

The railway bridge over the Logan River was situated at Loganlea and was built during 1884-85. The railway to Loganlea opened April 1885 and by July the bridge was completed and the line opened to Beenleigh. The construction of the railway in 1885 also assisted transport and communications generally, with the mail collected from the stationmaster, Mr Shanahan. The bridge was washed away in the floods of 1887.

The Loganlea area was the home to dairy stud farms during the mid 20th Century. Successive members of the Armstrong family ran the dairy farm, Riverdale, until the 1970s. It was during this time that surrounding land was bought by developers and new urban housing estates were created. Part of the Armstrong land is now the Logan TAFE College, which was established in 1988. The Logan Hospital opened in 1990. The remainder is now Riverdale Park on the Logan River. The nearby Griffith University is also on old grazing land and was opened in 1998.