Mount Warren Park
Mount Warren Park
A visit to the Albert River in February 1866 by a reporter from the Queensland Daily Guardian, reported that William Stanley Warren's sugar crop had been planted in February 1865 and was operated by white labour. Mr Warren's estate originally taken up by Gilbert Muir and Adam Black was Sugar Selection 4 and was bounded by Milne Street, the Albert River, Windaroo Creek and Beaudesert Beenleigh Road. It was known as the Noyea Plantation. He also had the Windaroo Plantation to the south, originally taken up by J. Pinwell. Two types of sugar were planted on the river flat with 10 acres of cotton planted up in the higher country. Indian corn was also growing and Mr Warren told the reporters that he had grown wheat in 1865 also.
The Herbst family moved onto two properties here from the early 1900s, Ayton and Noyea. Part of the land was occasionally used for the Beenleigh Jockey Club. The family were involved in cane farming and dairying.
The region remained essentially rural until 1974 when a major redevelopment was undertaken by Cambridge Credit. This company was responsible for the development of Springwood in the late 1960s. The estate offered land from 600 square metres to 1.288 square metres starting from $7,250 per block. 170 acres of parkland along the Albert River were planned as was a golf course and a marina. Planning began for a primary school immediately, although it did not open until January 1981. The golf course opened in 1981 along with the playing fields reserved for cricket and football.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints built a chapel in 1984 opposite the Special School in Mount Warren Boulevard. Later that year construction began on a $1.8 million sporting complex which included a bowling alley, tennis and squash courts. By 1986 a major shopping centre was planned.